notifications

ADS-B, ACARS, VOR, ILS, Airband AM
g0hdi

notifications

Post by g0hdi »

Hi, I'm running version 7.21.1 and I can't hear notifications. Any idea what I have to download in Ubuntu to get voice activated?. Thanks
srcejon

Re: notifications

Post by srcejon »

You need libqt5texttospeech5, qtspeech5-speechd-plugin and speechd

From the command line, try running:

spd-say hello
g0hdi

Post by g0hdi »

Ok, thanks. However, trying to install in terminal comes up with 'unable to find package.' Good start lol. Using Ubuntu by the way..
srcejon

Post by srcejon »

For which package?

Just typing spd-say may display the required package name.
Axel

Post by Axel »

g0hdi wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:21 pm Hi, I'm running version 7.21.1 and I can't hear notifications. Any idea what I have to download in Ubuntu to get voice activated?. Thanks
Hi I'm running the same on Mac Sonoma M2 and the notification works but I've noticed that the voice was a male one in the previous version and now it's a female voice. I note that the female voice tends to skip the first 1 or 2 syllables and is far less distinct than the male voice. It's not sexism — I've done side by side comparisons over a number of days. Is there a way to choose which voice to use?
srcejon

Post by srcejon »

There's nothing set explicitly by SDRangel to control this at the moment - so I'd guess it's something to do with OS settings.
Axel

Post by Axel »

srcejon wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:54 am There's nothing set explicitly by SDRangel to control this at the moment - so I'd guess it's something to do with OS settings.
I have tried various male and female voices in macOS System Setting. They work as intended on built-in applications such as TextEdit or Pages. However, they have no effect on spoken notifications within SDRAngel. I wonder if that has to do with the TextToSpeech module as found in various versions of Qt. See for example https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-texttospeech- ... -in-qt-6.6
Axel

Post by Axel »

Axel wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:51 pm
srcejon wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:54 am There's nothing set explicitly by SDRangel to control this at the moment - so I'd guess it's something to do with OS settings.
I have tried various male and female voices in macOS System Setting. They work as intended on built-in applications such as TextEdit or Pages. However, they have no effect on spoken notifications within SDRAngel. I wonder if that has to do with the TextToSpeech module as found in various versions of Qt. See for example https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-texttospeech- ... -in-qt-6.6
ADDENDUM: the change of voice seems to work but only after restarting my Mac and SDRAngel. In built-in applications the switch takes place on the fly, ie immediately.