Setting up SDRAngel for receiving DCF77.

MSF, DCF77, TDF, WWVB
jaro61

Setting up SDRAngel for receiving DCF77.

Post by jaro61 »

How to configure SDRAngel to receive DCF77 signal? I can't get the center frequency below 24MHz. Thank you for any help.
1.png
1.png (20.41 KiB) Viewed 645 times
RTL-SDR
srcejon

Re: Setting up SDRAngel for receiving DCF77.

Post by srcejon »

Check "No-mod DS" for direct sampling, assuming your RTL SDR supports it.
jaro61

Post by jaro61 »

Unfortunately, I am not receiving any signal. Am I setting something wrong, or is there simply a very weak signal?
2.png
2.png (85.4 KiB) Viewed 637 times
RTL-SDR
srcejon

Post by srcejon »

It's easier to see the strength of the signal using the spectrum view. Increasing decimation should help increase SNR.

If you want to view small signals on the scope, decrease the vertical range:
ScopeControl.PNG
ScopeControl.PNG (3.84 KiB) Viewed 632 times
By setting it to e-3 or whatever is needed.

RTL SDR isn't ideal for this frequency range - and you also may need a suitable antenna. Depends where you are too, of course!
jaro61

Post by jaro61 »

RTL-SDR is my first radio. So far I'm just gaining experience and the SDRAngel program fascinated me as soon as I tried it. He is simply fantastic. But it has many modules that I still don't quite understand. It will take a lot of time until I learn at least the most used modules. I will definitely buy a better radio in time.
Regarding for DCF77, changing the value to e-3 helped. We can already see a weak signal on waweforms. But it's a really weak signal. Nothing can be decoded from it. My antenna is a vertical dipole 2m long. I'll leave it at that, I just wanted to test the reception of the DCF77 signal. I will try other modules. There is still not much information about SDRAngel on the Internet and Youtube, so I will use this forum. Thank you very much for your help.
Last edited by jaro61 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTL-SDR
andyrs

Post by andyrs »

Also, keep in mind that propagation isn't always the same. Since we seem to be in similar direction, for DCF77 in particular, I found that early mornings seem to be the best time to receive. Try then!
jaro61

Post by jaro61 »

andyrs wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:35 pm Also, keep in mind that propagation isn't always the same. Since we seem to be in similar direction, for DCF77 in particular, I found that early mornings seem to be the best time to receive. Try then!
What antenna are you using?
RTL-SDR
andyrs

Post by andyrs »

A simple "random wire". About 8 meters of wire outside the window.
srcejon

Post by srcejon »

Here's what to look for:

DCF77.png
DCF77.png (181.35 KiB) Viewed 585 times

In the scope, set trace stream source to MagSq (i.e. power) and then set vertical range exponent to e-7 (or near there, depending on how strong your signal is). You should then see the power pulsing on every second.
jaro61

Post by jaro61 »

Unfortunately, the signal here is weak and I don't have a proper antenna, only a 2m dipole. I'll try running a long wire this weekend and see. One more thing. I pressed the X button on the module and now I can't turn it off. How do I turn it off?
3.png
3.png (133.57 KiB) Viewed 582 times
RTL-SDR